It’s 4pm and I just took the kids around the block for a walk. It’s 3 degrees out there, and in relation to yesterday morning, when it was -6 when I dropped the kids at school, that’s warm. Haha – yeah right. After only 10 minutes outside my face feels frostbitten and I want to dive into a hot shower.
So, in response to that, here are some ideas that I came up with to try and do to survive a New England winter:
- Invest in a balaclava. I am seriously considering doing this. Don’t laugh, frostbite is serious business.
- Buy shares in a skincare company. My skin is already starting to crack and dry out, something I only experience in this extremely cold/dry weather.
- Invest in a seasonal boyfriend. Someone to snuggle with and keep my toes warm at night. Yeah, okay, maybe not…
- Spray lots and lots of hairspray, deodorant and Pam, thus creating a hole in the ozone layer, changing the seasons, and making it summer here. Or something like that. Wait, does this side of the world even have an ozone layer, or is that purely an Australian thing (or a made up thing!)
- Start my own in-home daycare. That way I could do my job without leaving the house, and save my host parents money on school fees. Just ignore the fact that it would be illegal and against my visa stipulations… *twiddles thumbs*
- Convince my host family to move somewhere warm. Like Australia! Or even Florida or California would be good. Just for the summer, then we could come back. I’d like that.
- If all else fails, hibernate. You know, like all the furry animals do. Dig a hole somewhere (my bedroom) and not wake up until it’s above 10 degrees every day (ie. April or May some time)…
Yeah okay, I get it. I’m going to freeze. But that won’t stop me making jokes about how I don’t believe in snow or winter, and how I don’t plan on leaving the house for 3 months when it finally does decide to snow!