2012. It’s almost gone. Tonight the sun will go down, and millions of people across the globe will get ridiculously drunk, kiss strangers, and resolve to join a gym or lose weight.
It’s quite surreal that it will be 2013 when we wake up tomorrow. I still remember the ‘change over’, if you will, from 1999 to 2000. I was 15 years old, working at Hungry Jacks in Glenelg, SA. The Y2K bug was the Mayan calendar of the time, and everybody thought the computers were all going to blow up at midnight. Yeah, we all know they didn’t.
I don’t remember what my resolutions were last year, or the year before. I don’t even think I made any last year. And really, I mean, it doesn’t actually have to be December 31 or January 1 for you to decide to make a change in your life. You can choose to do that any time.
But, since we’re here, and since I want 2013 to be my best year yet, I’m willing to put down what I plan on doing in 2013. I’ll probably fail miserably, but I want to be able to say I tried. I want something that I can go back to, and say ‘yes, I’ve done that!’ or ‘I need to keep working at that’.
So, in 2013, I resolve to:
- Work at my health and fitness goals. Eat healthily and train harder. Support my training partner. Push myself. No excuses.
- Work hard at uni. Don’t leave assignments until 8 hours before they are due. Aim for HD’s and D’s. Do the best I can.
- Be better with my money. Not frugal, but not frivolous. Save.
- Travel. Plan and save for a trip somewhere, and take it.
- Look forward, not back. Leave past hurt in the past, and move forward into the future.
- Love fearlessly. Be kind to those who love me, and love them back. Love myself. LOVE.
Goodbye 2012. Hello 2013.